RE: [SLE] SUSE 6.4/php
  • From: tduggan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Tim Duggan)
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 11:40:36 -0400

Hi,
-----Original Message-----
From: Ed Scott [SMTP:edscott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2000 10:31 AM

>We need some advice for a system that we may get to build. It
>should run through a browser. An automated task in C/C++ and
>PERL would collect numerical data, process it and convert the result
>into GIF or PNG images. This collection and processing task might
>run once a day or several times per day depending on the source of
>data. The image files will be very small. We have heard that MySQL
>would be a good choice since it is fast and we do not need
>transactions.

Seems reasonable, since you mention browsers and MySQL you might want to
have a look at phpMyAdmin http://phpwizard.net/phpMyAdmin/ I've just
started looking at it and it seems rather nice.

>The other part of the architecture is for users via intranet or web
>browser and consists of a series of pages that are like templates to
>display a set of images (data) selected by time period. Currently we
>have a simple mockup using JavaScript and DHTML which works well
>with canned pages. We are thinking to use Apache. We may
>eventually want to allow users to add annotation that could be entered
>into the database but this application will primarily be a one way
pipe.

If you need dynamic pages have a look at php. http://www.php.net

>Questions:

>1) What other software can you suggest?
>2) Are there any descriptions or examples as web pages, books or
>etc., of architectures similar to this?
>3) What tutorials, courses or books suggestions can you offer on
>software components like Apache, MySQL and etc.?
>4) The potential development platforms are SuSE, Mandrake and
>FreeBSD - any tradeoff comments? The deliverable platform is the
>same but we may also need to run on Sun Solaris. Comments?
>5) Does SuSE contract consultant/mentoring for projects like this?
>Typical costs? We can build it ourselves I think but would benefit
from
>Apache, MySQL and etc. advice.

I've recently started a project using Apache, MySQL and php3 so I picked
up "PHP3 programming browser-based applications" by David Medinets,
McGraw Hill pub. I picked it up last night so I can't give any real
review. Also I find the O'Reilly books quite good and I'm certain there
are ones covering MySQL and Apache (before you ask no the local store
didn't have an O'Reilly book on php in stock).

HTH
Tim