RE: [SLE] Re: Alternative Web Browser

David,
> * I never click on ads. That leaves the profit made from loading
> an image.

You forget that the most effective type of ads for the content providers
(like myself) are the ones called "CPM" campaigns. These are
pay-per-impression - not pay-per-click. So, you see, it really does pay -
even if you don't click.

> * Ads are distracting. I hate animated gifs, especially when trying to
> read a text. Why should I have to be distracted by an animated gif of
> something that I am uninterested in when I can replace it with a
> white box?

Because I need to eat dinner, and if I have to make money somewhere else -
I won't have time to develop content.

> * Sites with advertisements do not explicitly request that you
> view the ads.
> Perhaps if they did, I would just leave the site. Also, this would justify
> the strange claim that I am stealing.

This is like a debate currently going on over at the KDE-General list. The
Debian people claim the KDE developers must specifically state they agree to
let their GPL'ed code get linked to the QPL'ed QT. Even though KDE can't
work without QT, the Debian project claims this isn't enough proof.
Same goes for ads. If web-developers didn't want you to view the ads - why
would they be there?

> * An ad at the top of a page will (often) load completely *before* the
> content is displayed. This is stealing time from me.

But it's up to you to spend that time waiting. If it isn't worth it to
you, stick to organizations like the GNU Project or other non-profit pages.
I pay for bandwidth (on my site), I spend many hours of hard work
developing, etc. Why do I want to loose money? If you don't wanna pay, don't
come at all. Really, just think about it. Wouldn't it be faster to walk out
of the grocery store without paying? Sure, but where are the employees who
stock the shelves for you going to make money to eat?
Same applies in the new economy. Yes there are hobbist and organizational
sites, but the rest require profit.

> * I use w3m 50% of my web time. It cannot display inline images. Would you
> tell me to dutifully load every ad into an image viewer before being
> entitled to view your site? Would I be stealing if I didn't?

No, then you just can't see them. You also aren't wasting my bandwidth
downloading the rest of the images on my site. It's when you _are_ using my
bandwidth, you _are_ using my free technical support, etc. Why shouldn't I
use a little of _your_ time?

My $0.02, that I wouldn't have if no one viewed my ad banners...

-Tim

Timothy R. Butler Universal Networks
Information Tech. Consultant Christian Web Services Since 1996
ICQ #12495932 AIM: Uninettm An Authorized IPSwitch Reseller
tbutler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.uninetsolutions.com