[SLE] what to call a stand-alone home PC
  • From: alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Alex Angerhofer)
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2000 00:00:36 -0500 (EST)

Hi List,

my home PC is not set up with a network card and not permanently
conncted to the internet. I am using a modem to connect, mainly to
the local hub at my university. The question that I am having is
what to call my home machine. the network configuration menu in
yast will eventually guide you to an entry for your hostname and
domain. I don't have a static domain of course, so what do I put
in there? Trying to just put in a hostname without a domain name
will not work. I used to just put my university's domain name in
there until I was told by the local system administrators that my
security messages somehow ended up being sent to root@xxxxxxx
rather than root@localhost. So, what is the correct solution here?
I couldn't find a good description in the SuSE manual as it mainly
focuses on how to set up a machine within a network.

Thanks for any helpful suggestions, Alex.