[SLE] Re: mounting floppy drive
  • From: tomas@xxxxxxxxxxxx (S.Toms)
  • Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 11:25:25 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 6 May 2000, Prasanna Krishnan wrote:

pk> I am unable to mount the floppy drive (/dev/fd0) to /floppy as a regular
pk> user. In /etc/fstab, I have this line:
pk> /dev/fd0 /floppy auto noauto,owner 0
pk> 0

Change the noauto,owner to noauto,user the previous requires you to be
the owner of the file/device, in this case /dev/fd0 which is owned by
root. It's a synonym to the nouser option, see man 8 mount

nouser Forbid an ordinary (i.e., non-root) user to
mount the file system. This is the default.

<snip from manpage>
The owner option is similar to the user option, with
the restriction that the user must be the owner of
the special file.

<end snip>

pk> I have added myself to the group 'disk'. I have made the /floppy folder
pk> rewriteable by group disk. However, when I type 'mount /floppy' or
pk> 'mount /dev/fd0' as a regular user, I get an error saying 'mount: must
pk> be superuser to mount'. How can I fix this? Thanks.
pk>
pk>
pk>

--