Re: [SLE] Hard Drive follies
  • From: chris.reeves@xxxxxxxxx (Chris Reeves)
  • Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 10:47:43 +0100

Tim Hanson wrote:

> I upgraded my system and along with the new board, processor, memory,
> and all that I bought a 30 gig hard drive. I could not get fdisk to see
> more than 7.9 gigs of it, even though I did all the standard things like
> flash the bios, use the installation diskette from the manufacturer,
> etc.
>
> The only way I was able to partition the drive was to use the Windows 95
> fdisk, with all its limitations including the one from marketing which
> limits to one primary partition per drive. Eventually I partitioned a
> 15 gig primary and a 15 gig extended, then changed the type, formatted
> and gave mount points in YaST. Now there is a 15 gig primary, a Windows
> extended, with a Linux logical as the only partition there.
>
> Cripes. Is there a better way?

Try partitioning it with Linux fdisk again (I presume you're doing this on
bootup through YaST, yes?), but this time when you get the boot prompt, pass
the kernel the geometry of your hard drive. It should look something like the
following:
linux hd=cylinders,heads,sectors
replacing cylinders, heads and sectors with their real values.

This might give fdisk the info it needs to correctly partition your hard drive.

Hope that helps,
Chris

--
Apologies to everyone who has been waiting for replies off me over the past few
weeks - I've been away from my computer. I'll try to catch up with my email