Re: [SLE] CD-burning requirements/support
  • From: agtiger@xxxxxxxxxxx (Argentium G. Tiger)
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 14:59:18 -0500

Chris Reeves <chris.reeves@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[ about a Sony Spressa Professional CRX145 ]
>...Unfortunately, the list of system
>requirements for this drive list a minimum of a P233 processor, while I only
>have a lowly Cyrix P150+ :'( My first question is this: will this have any
>major effect on the drive, i.e. will it still work? I realise that I may have
>to drop the write speed somewhat, but it will work, right?

I'll bet those system requirements were based on leaving a substantial
margin of processing power and I/O bus-bandwidth in a windows environment.

You should be fine, just make sure you don't have anything extraneous
running that would cause delay of data to your CDRW drive.

>The second issue at hand is Linux compatibility... some form of Spressa does
>appear in the CDB with the following entries:
>Sony Spressa 924S Link
>Sony Spressa 926S Link
>
>However, I don't think either of these are the model I'm looking at, and I
>don't have a clue what the 'Link' in the status field means. Needless to say,
>the system requirements on the box merely list various flavours of Windows,
>with no mention of Linux.

Of course. Sounds like you're about to become a guinea pig. :-) If it
helps you out any, Best Buy (if you have one in your neighborhood) is
currently running a special on Imation CD-R media: A spindle of 50 CD-R's
is only 30 bucks, 20 bucks after the 10 dollar mail in rebate. At least
if you start cutting coasters, it won't cost a ton of money.

>As far as I'm aware, there shouldn't be any problems/differences with either
>the SCSI or the EIDE versions, correct? Apart from the fact that the SCSI one
>would be easier to set up and have a faster interface, of course. I think
this
>drive is likely to be supported then, would you agree?

My personal experience is that it is always better to do CD-R(W) on a SCSI
bus, though I've had great success with the data source being on an IDE
drive, or even coming in over a 100Mb/s network connection.

The best way to ensure that you don't cut coasters due to buffer-underrun
(the condition where when you're in the middle of writing, your data
source fails to provide data to the drive) is to write an ISO image to
your storage drive first, and then burn from the ISO image to the CD-R.
This way, you're not trying to read data from all sorts of areas of
a hard drive, and compute what needs to be the next sector written.
Rather, you're just picking up the next bit of data in a ready-to-write
format.

As to the model of Advansys card you're looking at, sorry, I'm not
familiar with the line.

Argentium