Re: [SLE] reiserfs - very cool
  • From: grimmer@xxxxxxx (Lenz Grimmer)
  • Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 15:40:18 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

orry for the late reply. I just stumbled over this message in my inbox...

On 28 Mar 2000, Fran├žois Pinard wrote:

> Lenz Grimmer <grimmer@xxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > But I must agree - ReiserFS is great. I have converted all my boxes
> > (private and at work) to it and it runs flawlessly.
>
> I would presume there is some decrease in speed. May I ask you, who
> are using it, if you found the decrease significantly noticeable?

So far, I was not able to notice any significant loss of speed. Only if
the machine having heavy disk activity, the mouse cursor in X is a bit
sloppy. But all in all, there is no major difference (in any direction).

> Did you find any other disadvantage? Better ask others who dived and
> tried, than discover the disadvantages ourselves, given the investment
> needed in reformatting and moving partitions around. Yet, to be more
> precise, most of the time is for reading documents, studying things,
> and taking preventive actions for being able to switch back in case we
> are not satisfied.

I have not found any other disadvantage yet, apart from needing to
reformat the partitions :) We have converted most of our main development
servers to reiserfs and are very satisfied so far.

> How committed are the ReiserFS developers to stay back compatible with
> the current state, as the format evolves? If they are, this is a good
> incentive for trying it now. If not, this is an indication that we
> should wait.

There were some compatibility issues with the very first versions, but
this has been resolved. We have urged the ReiserFS developers to stay
backward compatible and they are committed to leave it that way.

> I just saw `ext3' mentioned, and have no more information. If someone
> happen to know, could the main features be sketched? Is `ext3' in the
> evolutionary line set by ReiserFS, or are these to be competing
> directions?
>
> Such information might help us to decide when (and where!) to switch.

IIRC, I described the main differences in another message. Basically the
aim at the same target, but use different approaches.

Bye,
LenZ