[SLE] annoying harddrive problems
  • From: gerrit.kaiser@xxxxxx (Gerrit Kaiser)
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 14:59:54 +0200 (MEST)

Hi folks!

(Warning! This message contains part of text which are written in very,
very bad english, so please be patient with me! :) )
And the Problem which is described in this eMail isn´t really a
Linux-Problem but you are so nice that I think you could help me although.

After your great and fast help for my problem ("mounting FAT32...") I´ve
decided to install a new harddrive (the same model as the current
data-harddisk (the one in my Win98-Workstation which I wanted to install in my
Linux-Server)) physically into my Linux-machine and copy all the Data from the
current data-hdd through my intranet to the new hdd. After that I can install
samba on the Linux-Server and everything would be ok.

But the new HD isn´t very cooperativ I couldn´t install it yet. And I
tried to install it the whole day(!). I´m totally stressed and you are my last
hope! ;)
I think my old BIOS (it´s from 8/1995...) doesn´t support HD´s with a
capacity higher than 2GB. Ok, that´s a known problem with a known solution:
installing a Diskmanager.
So I went to the Seagate-Website (the Diskmanager is available
@http://www.seagate.com/cgi-bin/discwiz.cgi) and after downloading the
Diskmanager-Suite (It´s only available for Windows-Systems, especially for me as a
Linux-user a great help *g*) and booting my Linux-machine with a DOS-Bootdisk I
started the Tool. It said that I only have to select my OS (from a List with
Win95, Win95b, Win98, WinNT and so on...) and then install a "dynamic drive
overlay" which helps the BIOS detecting the full capacity of my HD. But after
selecting Win98 or any other OS from the list there´s a error-message which
sais that I have to check all power connectors, cables and jumper settings.
But I´m sure that these things are set up correctly.
How can I make the BIOS detect the correct size of my HDD?