Re: [SLE] Firewall PC recommendations
  • From: zentena@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Nick Zentena)
  • Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 08:29:52 -0500

Phil Shrimpton wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am going to buy a cheap Second hand PC to run my firewall with my cable
> modem, what is the main 'feature' I should concentrate on, RAM, processor
> speed or disk speed? I won't be running X or anything, just the firewall
> stuff.

What else will the machine be doing? My firewall does
firewall,sendmail,leafnode,masquerade and dns. It's running on a
pentium/100 with 32meg of ram. The machine isn't being stressed out at
all. It's actually barely running.

My suggestion find a windows user who is getting a new machine. Likely
his old machine is overkill for what you need. Likely the most you will
want to do is swap out the HD for something bigger. But if you aren't
running a local newserver even that isn't an issue. One thing check the
bios. Older bios won't handle the new large HDs. Considering how hard
it's getting to even find a smaller HD today that might be an issue. One
reason I've always liked Asus is they keep providing bios updates
forever. My firewall machine got a bios update this year. Thats for a
system based on Asus's first pentium 90/100 MB. HX chipset?

Nick

--
Nick Zentena
"The Linux issue," Wladawsky-Berger explained, "is whether this is a