Re: [SLE] Minimum install still uses 14meg memory
  • From: grtoft@xxxxxxxxx (George Toft)
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 05:48:31 -1000

Stuart Hall wrote:

> I am in the process of writing a program that will time slot cars
> around my basement track for Linux. In doing this, it is becoming
> apparent that I need to have pretty good access to my parallel port -
> so much so that not many other processes can be running at the same
> time.
>
> I have a minimum install, plus a little networking, installed on my
> 486-33 box w/ 16 meg ram. However, when doing a "top" last night, I
> see that almost 15 meg of ram is already being used by other processes
> - one of which is sendmail.
>
> I am obviously going to have to get rid of sendmail, smb, nfs and any
> other services running on this machine. Are there any other
> suggestions for what I should be looking for to delete? When I did
> this "top", I was running in console mode with one user (root) only.
> There was nothing that appeared to be taking more than 4% of memory -
> in fact most of the items were taking 0.0 memory.
>
> Any suggestions on how I can free up this machine would be
> appreciated. I need to get it so it is as "fast" and light as a DOS
> install.
>
> Thanks,
> Stuart
>
> --
> Stuart Hall
> Cheshire, Connecticut, USA
> Linux User# 141732

I have 64MB RAM and far fewer services, yet 58MB is used!

What I'm getting at is the difference between Unix/Linux and DOS
memory management. Linux believes unused RAM is wasted RAM, therefore,
any unused RAM will be used to buffer the hard drive. No matter how
much RAM you have, it will always be used. Even my 128MB desktop
machine always uses all of its RAM.

Go ahead and get rid of the extra services, but remember, top is not
the best tool for looking at your RAM. ps is much better.

--
--- George's View on Computer Security ---
There are *only* two levels of security: a) Paranoid; and b) None.