[SLE] Minimum install still uses 14meg memory
  • From: stuarthall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Stuart Hall)
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 15:11:28 GMT

I am in the process of writing a program that will time slot cars
around my basement track for Linux. In doing this, it is becoming
apparent that I need to have pretty good access to my parallel port -
so much so that not many other processes can be running at the same
time.

I have a minimum install, plus a little networking, installed on my
486-33 box w/ 16 meg ram. However, when doing a "top" last night, I
see that almost 15 meg of ram is already being used by other processes
- one of which is sendmail.

I am obviously going to have to get rid of sendmail, smb, nfs and any
other services running on this machine. Are there any other
suggestions for what I should be looking for to delete? When I did
this "top", I was running in console mode with one user (root) only.
There was nothing that appeared to be taking more than 4% of memory -
in fact most of the items were taking 0.0 memory.

Any suggestions on how I can free up this machine would be
appreciated. I need to get it so it is as "fast" and light as a DOS
install.

Thanks,
Stuart

--