Re: [SLE] CNN, SusE, Lousy PR
  • From: adcarlso@xxxxxxxxxx (Arlen Carlson)
  • Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 22:15:10 -0500 (EST)

On 12-Mar-00 Jerry L Kreps wrote:
> Bernard Peek wrote:
>>
>> In article <4.2.2.20000306193019.00a48f00@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, bsh
>> <dk983@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
>>
>> > That depends on whose desktop you are referring to. Most
>> > corporations
>> > have an IT department to configure software and hardware for the
>> > users.
>>
>> That's not true.
>>
>> Most IT staff are employed by corporations that have an IT department,
>> but that's not saying the same thing. Most companies are too small to
>> have a separate IT department. So for Linux to be adopted as a desktop
>> system in most companies it has to be able to be used by someone with no
>> formal training in IT. They should be able to get the OS installed by
>> reading the instructions in the manual, which should be no more than 100
>> pages. Installation on any standard PC system should normally take no
>> more than an hour.
>

> After repeated lockups and crashes on my workstation running
> Win95 I decided to reinstall. I scrubbed the C drive and
> put Win95 on fresh. The IT folks came by and installed
> Lotus Notes and the network copies of Corel WP and Quatropro
> and installed the Internet proxy. Total time: about 1.5
> hours.
>
> The next day an IT person dropped off my new HP CD-Writer.
> It required Win98 so I had to scrub C againt and install
> Win98 SE. One hour later it was on. I can't count the
> number of reboots required during the process. Well, 5
> minutes after completing the install and preparing to
> install Notes, Corel and the proxy, while using Explorer
> (fm) I got a BSOD! Bad sign! Five hours later the IT folks
> (very sharp I might add) still were not able to get Notes
> going because M$'s 'Messaging system' was interfering with
> the Corel installation. They have yet to find a way to
> remove the Messaging system. Probably part of M$'s
> anti-competitive artifically created incompatibilities
> practice I suspect. It's not like they haven't done that in
> the past... duh.
>

>> After that time the system should be able to dial an
>> ISP, print a letter and play a mean game of solitaire.
>
> Using the workstation to play games is not allowed in my
> office.
>

> <snip>
>
>> If the current rate of progress keeps up, Linux will be ready for the
>> average users' desktop in two or three years.
>
> Maybe one or perhaps two years at the most. For many
> people, like myself, it is ready now! If Linux, running KDE
> for example, will do all that you need to do then it is
> ready. The advantages are that Linux doesn't crash and most
> of the apps are free or very inexpensive. Not only that,
> there are fine commerical apps being released almost on a
> daily basis.
>

>> --
>> Bernard Peek
>> bap@xxxxxxxxxx
>> bap@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Thought I'd add my two cents to this thread I've been reading for awhile. I
believe Linux is ready for the desktop right now, IF you are the typical home
user running a computer for word processing and the Internet. Mind you, then
the real power of Linux, with the exception of its stability goes essentially
unnoticed. On the other hand, there is the essential immunity to viruses in
Linux.

Anyway, if you then require additional programs, say for instance a
card/greeting program like Printshop or PrintMasterGold, or perhaps any of an
assortment of other programs not available on Linux then you'll need more than
Linux, as in Windows right now.

I've survived on Linux w/ WINE, and an occasional boot to OS/2 w/ DOS/Win3.1
support enabled for the last two years (four years if you included just the
latter combo as my previous OS)...Until this weekend...I needed some
Win95/98-ONLY apps. So I blew away DOS/Win3.1, disabled OS/2-WIN support,
shrunk my hardly ever used OS/2 partition, and installed Win98. Now I have 98,
OS/2, and SuSE Linux, with room to try a couple other Linux distributions soon
as well.

In short and to reiterate, Linux is ready for the generic typical user now.
But the extra apps that many might need aren't there yet. What it will take is
that other year or two, for companies to port their apps to Linux, or when they
bring out an app, support Linux right from the start.

Arlen Carlson <adcarlson@xxxxxxxxx>

The right half of the brain controls the left half of the body. This
means that only left handed people are in their right mind.

This message was sent by XFmail (Linux)

-o)
/\\
_\_v