Re: [SLE] Zip 100 ATAPI

On Thu, 02 Mar 2000, Joe Hylkema wrote:
> How do I set this up as a slave device on IDE1? I've seen plenty of
> info on parallel port Zip, but never on the IDE version.

That's the way I've got mine. Basically, the internal Zips just appear as
removable media regular disks, so it's not difficult at all. My /etc/fstab
looks roughly like this:

# ATAPI Zip, using IDE-SCSI Emulation
/dev/sda /zip vfat rw,noauto,user,exec 0 0

If you're not using IDE-SCSI Emulation (i.e. a stock SuSE kernel), the device
is probably /dev/hdb instead of /dev/sda. I will also note that my particular
disk is kind of weird, and /dev/hdb4 is probably the vfat partition you want to
mount.

If you don't want to use the vfat file system, and were only going to use the
ext2 file system on your Zip disks, you could also completely reformat the
disks using:

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdb
# mke2fs /dev/hdb

That would allow you to mount /dev/hdb as a block device, instead of /dev/hdb4
(don't forget to edit /etc/fstab!). For more details, have a look at `man
fstab' ;).

--
-=|JP|=-
Jon Pennington | Atipa Linux Solutions -o)