Re: [SLE] Linux / Solaris
  • From: molnarc@xxxxxxxxxxx (molnarc@xxxxxxxxxxx)
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 11:17:47 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Dennis wrote:

> external connectivity are through USB, even the external FDD. It works
> wonderfully under windozZ, but when come to Linux, it can't recongnise the
> USB (port) printer, and the biggest problem, the ext. USB FDD. :(

USB support is one of my biggest hopes for the new Kernel. I really should
grab a copy and try to compile it. It seems more and more products are
going to USB. A good thing if you ask me.

> It has NoGo for Linux at the moment as the only way is to connect it to
> network. I tried SuSE 6.2 and Mandrake 7b but can't go anywhere. At the
> end, Bill won this round for now.

Maybe when the kernel 2.4 is released the problem will vanish.

> I fully agreed with you on the 'many' distro and heading everywhere
> directions. I try some of them (when I have the time, in fact, I am very
> busy most of the time) but only serious with SuSE, it serve me well so far,
> although there are still lots of problems waiting to be solved.

Well, I play with most of the releases as well. My server (nebsllc.com)
runs on RedHat 6.1 and it's been pretty stable, I hate changing that one
since if it ain't broke, don't fix it applies. I have most recently been
messing with SuSE on my laptops but I really don't see much diffrence
between SuSE and Redhat, other than SuSE is an extremely large install
(folks don't shoot me for this comment - It took me a long time just to
install SuSE!).

> 63,000 bugs in W2K? how many in NT?? If you are going to hear the music
> anyway, why pay for it? isn't Linux a better choice after all???? take the
> saved money and get yourself some better hardware :)

Again, need to define "better" hardware. Does it have the best features
for the money you pay, or does it run Linux? This is a call consumers all
over the place are going to have to make in the future. We (the Linux
community) need to get with it. I know if most of the people I support
have a choice between paying 150-200 dollars for an operating system, or
$10.00 for a cdrom with linux they will probably choose the $150-200 route
because it supports their newest toys. My users look for: Sound, ease of
use, clear video, and standard commands. Desktop apps like word
processors, email, and spreadsheets. Also nice are apps such as Quicken
(home accounting). These are features missing from the Linux world right
now. (please don't tell me about Star Office, it is cumbersome, memory
intensive and totally unacceptable for mobile computing).

Also, much as we don't like online services such as AOL the fact is it's
out there. Until we have an AOL package for Linux we will not be
attracting the mainstream crowd.

Just my 2 cents worth.