Re: [SLE] New SUSE version.
  • From: seana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sean Akers)
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 10:47:41 +0000

Sean Akers@ROMAX
16/02/2000 10:47

>> A good administrator will update a server only if there's specific
reason to
>> do so (i.e. security or bug fixes or certain programs not in the
previous
>> release). At least in a production environment it's 'never change a
running
>> system', as stability is by far more important than features.

>We only update (ie complete 100% new install) a server when we install a
>new one. We have one running kernel 2.0.29 still. It is stable and run
>specfic things that we don't want to mess with.

>The other one runs SuSE 6.1 and the new one coming online will have 6.3 or
>6.?? when we get there.

I found a solution to the upgrade blues. I bought myself a spare 8.4Gb HD
and a couple of removable HD caddies. I run the current stable version off
SuSE in my machine and when a new release comes out, I install it onto the
spare HD by just powering down and swapping the caddies over. I can bring
up the working system at any time just by swapping the original caddy back
in. When I'm happy with the new installation, that stays in the machine as
the working system and the old version becomes available for new installs
when the next release comes out.

I forgot to mention. All my user data (in /home) and my mail/news spools
(in /var/spool/mail and /var/spool/news) are stored on another permanently
installed drive so I don't have to backup and copy data about when I'm in
the upgrade process. I Also tend to make a backup of the working /etc
directory so I can use that to help configure the new system.

Sean Akers.