Re: [SLE] Final Successful Story: Can't Compile (Link) 'xfstt'
  • From: abrahams@xxxxxxxxxxx (Paul W. Abrahams)
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 22:45:12 -0500

Philipp Thomas wrote:

> * Howard Arons (hlarons@xxxxxxxxxx) [20000214 20:45]:
>
> > > If you're using a 2.2.X kernel, delete packages gcc and gccfront
> > > and maybe reinstall egcs.
> >
> > If I understand your suggestion, using the egcs package instead of
> > gcc/gccfront will allow such compiles to work without all this fooling
> > around. I'd like to believe that, and I'm going to try it (after
> > deleting gccfront of course).
>
> gcc is gcc 2.7.2.3 and gccfront the driver (/usr/bin/gcc). As I wrote, these
> are only needed for compiling 2.0.X kernels. If you don't intend to do that,
> you may safely delete both packages. BTW, for programs written in C++, you
> need packages gpp and gpplib and gpp *requires* egcs to be installed.

Beware! I took the suggestion and removed gcc and gccfront from my system. I
then discovered that X wasn't reading my .Xdefaults file, so all my
customizations were lost. Further investigation showed that xrdb was looking
for lib/cpp and not finding it. Restoring gcc and gccfront (both were needed)
fixed the problem.

Paul Abrahams