Re: [SLE] Final Successful Story: Can't Compile (Link) 'xfstt'
  • From: abrahams@xxxxxxxxxxx (Paul W. Abrahams)
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 12:32:57 -0500

Philipp Thomas wrote:

> gcc is gcc 2.7.2.3 and gccfront the driver (/usr/bin/gcc). As I wrote, these
> are only needed for compiling 2.0.X kernels. If you don't intend to do that,
> you may safely delete both packages. BTW, for programs written in C++, you
> need packages gpp and gpplib and gpp *requires* egcs to be installed.

Do you happen to know if gcc and/or gccfront are necessary in order to
build the latest Emacs release from Gnu sources?

It would be very useful if the next SuSE manual explained the
distinctions among
the various gcc-related compilers and libraries. Questions about what
compilers
and libraries to use come up all the time and are one of the most
troublesome
aspects of installing Linux software.

Paul Abrahams