Re: [SLE] backing up a partition
  • From: keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Keith Warno)
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 00:43:31 -0500

| Keith Warno wrote:
| >
| > Hello list.
| >
| > Anyone have an idea on how to backup the contents of a _partition_? I'm
| > thinking maybe I could use dd but I'm not sure.
| >
| > For example, I would like to backup everything that resides on
/dev/hda2.

| > Ideas/suggestions much appreciated, as always.
|
| Well, the way I backup my system is with the tar command. It works well
| for me. All you have to do is mount the partition you wish to backup to
| some location, like /mnt or something. Change directory into the mount
| point (etc: cd /mnt), and simply tar everything up: tar zcvf <filename>
| *
|
| Please look at the man page for details on the four switchs I used on
| tar.
|
| --
| Sam Carleton

Yes... I'm proficient in tar usage, although tar is a poor choice in this
case. The particular partition I need to backup is the root parition (/);
in theory I could boot a rescue system, mount the root in /mnt as you said,
and tar away (of course sticking the tar ball on another partition).
However the box is heavily used and I would like to minimize downtime.