Re: [SLE] Apache Directory Indexing?
  • From: chris.reeves@xxxxxxxxx (Chris Reeves)
  • Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 20:20:35 +0000

Jack Barnett wrote:

> What I have in there is:
>
> UserDir public_html
>
> <Directory "*/public_html">
> AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
> Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch IncludesNoExec
> <Limit GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>
> Allow from all
> </Limit>
> <Limit PUT DELETE PATCH PROPPATCH MKCOL COPY MOVE LOCK UNLOCK>
> Order deny,allow
> Deny from all
> </Limit>
> </Directory>
>
> I still don't see what I am doing wrong. The root directory, will
> automatically index it's self just fine (provided it doesn't have an
> index.html file). The permissions are correct on the users home directory
> also.
>
> In the log files it gives the error:
> [Thu Feb 3 10:15:42 2000] [error] [client 192.168.17.8] Directory index
> forbidden by rule: /home/username/public_html
>
> I did restart the server after changing the httpd.conf file, but it still
> doesn't take.

Well, the only thing that is different between the way you have it and the way
I have it is that I have:
<Directory "/*/public_html">
instead of:
<Directory "*/public_html">

Mind you, I don't use the UserDir feature of Apache, so I can't really tell you
if this works ;-)

As far as I can see, there's nothing wrong with that. Just make sure that
public_html isn't a symlink to anywhere - I had major problems a few days ago
with this...

Hope that helps,
Chris

--