[SLE] network setup
  • From: phthor@xxxxxxxx (Nevada)
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 13:46:05 -0800

I still consider myself a newbie with Linux and a complete dummy
about networking as I have never dealt with it before. Now that
is out of the way, I would like this groups recommendation as to
setting up two computer for networking.

I have one computer that has Linux installed and one with
windows. Each has only the one OS on it. I would also like to be
able to use either computer or both at the same time when
connected to the internet if this is possible.

So I need recommendations for:

1. When networking cards to obtain.
2. Other than the programs installed for networking by 6.3, which
other programs would be needed. (Samba, VW, etc)
3. What type of cableing between the two computers is easiest or
best.
4. If the phone line is connected to the Linux computer, how do
you connect
the Windos computer to the telephone line through the Linux
machine. 56K
modems are installed in both computers.

Either may be other questions I should be asking, but cann't
think of them right now. I want to get the computers talking to
each other first then I'll think about the internet side.

I want to do this as cheaply as possible as I am retired on a
limited income. I have been thinking about older used networking
cards.

thanks in advance,
Nevada