Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-xorg (11 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [opensuse-xorg] Help with Xorg internals needed
  • From: Stefan Dirsch <sndirsch@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 14:38:59 +0200
On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 02:06:27PM +0400, sda wrote:
hello,

my name is Dmitry Serpokryl and i'd highly appreciate if someone could
point me to the proper documentation about "How to set Xorg with several
proprietary drivers (ATI/nVidia) installed?"

AFAIK this is not possible. At least not on Linux. Maybe it is on Windows.

right now the case is straight forward:

1) both "x11-video-fglrxG*" and "x11-video-nvidiaG*" packages contain
several duplicated files, so it's clear that they should be
repackaged/rebuilded anyway.

No.

it could be a minor issue, but some of the duplicates are related to the
second point.

No, it's not a minor issue.

2) both "x11-video-fglrxG*" and "x11-video-nvidiaG*" packages place some
content into:

"/usr/lib*/xorg/modules/updates/"

and the case of this letter is the existence of:

"/usr/lib*/xorg/modules/updates/extensions/libglx.so"

which prevent (for example) the "AIGLX" for Intel cards and (according
to the "/usr/lib*/xorg/modules/updates/README.updates") there are no
"selection mechanism" capable to "match" the hardware with the
available drivers installed.

For Intel, fglrx and nvidia you need different "libglx.so" X modules.

the question is:

"How to set the Xorg with mentioned proprietary drivers properly?"

Again. It's not possible at all.

in the end we should have the loaded "libGL.so" from "Mesa" for Intel
cards, from "x11-video-nvidiaG*" for NVIDIA and from "x11-video-fglrxG*"
for ATI, BUT! there should be some kind of a selection depending on the
"driver", because both (ATI and NVIDIA) could use the open source
solutions instead of proprietary ones.

right now i see only the way of an "ugly scripting" based on the output
from (and may be some other sane checks):

> lspci | grep -i vga
> grep -i driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf

which will set the "LD_PRELOAD=${LIBGL_SOLUTION}" with the optional
restart of the Xorg. this kind of a "solutions" we should use as a last
resort, because all games with the "LD_PRELOAD=" are definitely lead to
the wrong direction.

You're right, it's ugly and usually it doesn't work anyway.

probably i should pick the disk of Ubuntu and look at their schema, but
it'd definitely prefer to follow the advises from this ML instead.

I believe what Ubuntu does is download and install the required driver for the
existing graphics driver. I doubt they ship all drivers and switch between
them on-the-fly.

Best regards,
Stefan

Public Key available
Stefan Dirsch (Res. & Dev.) SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
Tel: 0911-740 53 0 Maxfeldstraße 5
FAX: 0911-740 53 479 D-90409 Nürnberg
http://www.suse.de Germany