Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-xorg (11 mails)

< Previous Next >
[opensuse-xorg] Help with Xorg internals needed
hello,

my name is Dmitry Serpokryl and i'd highly appreciate if someone could
point me to the proper documentation about "How to set Xorg with several
proprietary drivers (ATI/nVidia) installed?"

right now the case is straight forward:

1) both "x11-video-fglrxG*" and "x11-video-nvidiaG*" packages contain
several duplicated files, so it's clear that they should be
repackaged/rebuilded anyway.

it could be a minor issue, but some of the duplicates are related to the
second point.

2) both "x11-video-fglrxG*" and "x11-video-nvidiaG*" packages place some
content into:

"/usr/lib*/xorg/modules/updates/"

and the case of this letter is the existence of:

"/usr/lib*/xorg/modules/updates/extensions/libglx.so"

which prevent (for example) the "AIGLX" for Intel cards and (according
to the "/usr/lib*/xorg/modules/updates/README.updates") there are no
"selection mechanism" capable to "match" the hardware with the
available drivers installed.

the question is:

"How to set the Xorg with mentioned proprietary drivers properly?"

in the end we should have the loaded "libGL.so" from "Mesa" for Intel
cards, from "x11-video-nvidiaG*" for NVIDIA and from "x11-video-fglrxG*"
for ATI, BUT! there should be some kind of a selection depending on the
"driver", because both (ATI and NVIDIA) could use the open source
solutions instead of proprietary ones.

right now i see only the way of an "ugly scripting" based on the output
from (and may be some other sane checks):

lspci | grep -i vga
grep -i driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf

which will set the "LD_PRELOAD=${LIBGL_SOLUTION}" with the optional
restart of the Xorg. this kind of a "solutions" we should use as a last
resort, because all games with the "LD_PRELOAD=" are definitely lead to
the wrong direction.

probably i should pick the disk of Ubuntu and look at their schema, but
it'd definitely prefer to follow the advises from this ML instead.

my apologizes for such a long letter.

regards,
sda