Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-xorg (68 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [suse-xfree86] Xfree Modelines
  • From: George Billios <gb3080@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 14:46:54 +0000 (UTC)
Ok I'll try what you said.

Pieter Hulshoff wrote:
On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 01:00:48PM +0100, George Billios wrote:

I tried all but nothing. It doesn't even matter if I put the modelines, since it starts with the ones it detects!

Hmm, ok, let's try some other things:
Use:
Option "NoDDCMode"
i.s.o. the DCC option you're using now.

Next, use:
  VertRefresh  68-75
perhaps that'll stop X from using a 60 Hz modeline.

It's kinda sad that X thinks it can do better than the information provided
to it in the configuration file...

Another thing though is that the high pitch noise goes away if I set the color depth to 16bit! But the drop in performance that came with the noise, remains! So could it be the it is the drivers fault?

I don't know exactly what you mean by 'noise' nor what 'performance drop'
you're experiencing. Could you elaborate a bit more on it? A drop in
performance compared to what exactly?

Ok, my mistake. In the first email I said that the monitor outputs a high pitch noise that was why I wanted to change the resolution parameters because I thought the noise is because of very high horizontal frequency. The noise doesn't sound always but only after there is much text output to the sreen, like when I compile something. Every time the noise starts, the screen rendering becomes very slow, that is the performance drop I am saying. It is a very funny situation as you can understand since now I'm not sure that a high horizontal frequency is really causing this. This doesn't happen under windows and I start to suspect that it's the driver, but the same thing happens with bot fglrx and radeon drivers.

Regards,

Pieter Hulshoff

< Previous Next >