Re: [opensuse-wiki] Update selected language wikis to the current state of en.opensuse.org
  • From: Henne Vogelsang <hvogel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 11:49:22 +0200
Hey,

On 10.08.2010 05:55, Rajko M. wrote:

Having separate wiki.o.o was advantage with en.o.o

With language wikis is different.
They don't have backward compatibility problem, all they have now is problem
how to get in sync with en.o.o.

What is advantage of just updating?

[...]

Disadvantage:

1. A lot of article deletions

2. There is need for careful planning, like listing articles in few
categories:

3. A lot of templates, articles and icons have the same name. That means
you have to take care that each and every article that uses them is
adapted to fit the new stuff once you change them. That can mean a lot
of (temporary) breakage in the live wiki opposed to a atomic change when
we use a temporary wiki.

4. You have to take extra care of old cruft. It doesn't go away
automatically with the switch. You have to touch each and every page
opposed to only the pages that matter (and the pages you forget ;-).

5. We don't have any real life experience with this opposed to a step by
step script (Help:Transfer) to do it in a temporary wiki. Which we also
already have gone through twice and ironed out problems (with en.o.o and
de.o.o).

Especially the last reason, given the complexity of this task, is the
reason i would do it with a temporary wiki.

Henne

--
Henne Vogelsang, openSUSE.
- Mike Tyson