Re: [opensuse-wiki] Redundant namespaces, in particular openSUSE:
  • From: Brandon Philips <bphilips@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:39:52 -0700
On 10:33 Fri 30 Jul 2010, pistazienfresser (see profile) wrote:
c) [[openSUSE:Kernel_git]]
ca) [[Kernel]] missing: I personally miss an (introducing) article (or a
Portal?) about the kernels that come with the openSUSE distribution and
how they are made. In my opinion a short sentence and a link to the
article that is now under [[openSUSE:Kernel_git]] would be fine there.

Good idea, I will create a Kernel page.

cb) The content of the article
cba) The introduction:
"The openSUSE / SLE kernel git repository is located at
http://gitorious.org/opensuse/kernel-source. It's not a fork of the
mainline kernel repository, but a series of patches, spec file
templates and a set of script to work with the repository."
The technical terms/ "SLE", "kernel", "repository", "fork",
"mainline", "patch", "spec", "file templates" "script" are all in the
introduction and without any explanation or definition in the article
itself or by linking to an explaining and defining article in this
wiki.

Please provide links to the wiki pages that defne these things. I can
write about the Kernel team processes. But, it is unlikely I would be
able to create a readable definition of SLE, patch, spec, etc. :)

d) Redundancy
If one word has different proposes on different levels it is not
redundant (but maybe it seems to be). Maybe funny, maybe ridiculous but
not redundant.

To the casual contributor, unfamiliar with the discussion and
definitions of the namespaces, the two openSUSE strings in one URL is
redundant. I spent 20 minutes reading discussions and wiki pages before
I had an OK understanding.

Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,

Brandon