[opensuse-wiki] Redundant namespaces, in particular openSUSE:
  • From: Brandon Philips <bphilips@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 18:24:09 -0700
Hello All and Everyone-

Today, I wish to talk about redundancy. In particular things that add no
new information and are a simple rearrangement of the understood data.
In other words: repetitiveness for no-gain at all.

Problem
-------

I was trying to point a community member at the Kernel Git page today so
they could get involved. But I was baffled to find it gone. Searching a
bit I ended up finding it at this URL:

http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Kernel_git

Two openSUSE's in one URL, what a deal! Without that openSUSE: namespace
I might have thought I was going to grab the Ubuntu Kernel Git...

As we are breaking URLs all over with this new wiki anyways can we take
a moment and consider the URL monsters we are creating here? Just look
at it once again:

http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Kernel_git

There has got to be something better, lets find a solution. :)

Solution
--------

Lets look at the mission statement of the openSUSE: namespace[1]:

"And the openSUSE community's openSUSE: namespace to collaboratively
write on documentation for their projects and teams."

Possible alternatives:

0. No namespace at all, the openSUSE community exists at openSUSE.org!
We have an entire domain to call our own! Why do we need a namespace?

1. devel: ? Oh, but these teams are not necessarily developers

2. teams: ? Erm, no because then it would be teams:Kernel_git which
makes no sense

3. community: ? Maybe, but community:Java packaging cookbook looks
strange

4. project: ? This is my second choice as nearly all of the links on
http://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Project are to the openSUSE: namespace...

1-4 have their problems but at least they are not redundant.

Lets discuss what problem this openSUSE: namespace is trying to solve
and how we can make sane looking URLs on our new wiki. And lets do it
fast so we can avoid breaking URLs again.

Cheers,

Brandon

[1] http://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Wiki/Concept