[opensuse-wiki] Wiki Google Custom Search
  • From: "Matthew Ehle" <mehle@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 16:32:08 -0600
Hello,

As Carlos pointed out, I had accidentally hijacked an earlier thread, so I am
starting this new one up. Here is the original message:

I have implemented Google Custom Search on enstage.opensuse.org, and I am
personally very happy with the results. To try it out, you can visit
http://enstage.opensuse.org/Portal:GoogleSearch and try searching on anything
you want. It is about a thousand times better than what we have, and with the
better relevance ranking, namespace searching is no longer an issue.

While the current search is advertisement supported, I am nearly positive that
we can get ad support removed. It seems that Google is pretty willing to do
this for non-profits.

What does everyone think? If you don't have access to the staging site, I will
be more than happy to send you a screen shot of the search page.

If everyone is on board, I will ask Thomas to edit the theme to make it the
default search, and we'll send it live.

Thanks,
Matt

By the way, you need access to the staging site to see this (i.e. you need to
be on the Novell network). I can provide screen shots if requested.
< Previous Next >