Re: [opensuse-wiki] Good/cool links never change
  • From: "pistazienfresser (see profile)" <pistazienfresser@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 10:35:22 +0200
On 27/07/10 06:51, Rajko M. wrote:
On Monday 26 July 2010 13:08:34 Juergen Weigert wrote:

When to delete?
I would leave that decision to some scheduled review process, where links
will
be reviewed periodically and removed if possible.
Many will be obsolete after some time and then they can be removed without
pain. Other will never change.
Can this be partly made by a bot?

E.G. a bot that deletes a redirect 1 week/1 month/1 year after the
redirect is made
unless the redirect-page or the corresponding discussion page have an
additional remark.

In general:
The transition doesn't mean that we have to change and break all stuff at
once, but to set direction. Web and search engines will find new articles,
but
they need time and that can be few years.

Problem with sites as our wiki is that they use article title as URL, so it
is
not easy to change title without breaking all links, ditto automatic creation
of redirects, but also request to writers to watch how to name their
creations, to prevent need for renaming.

The problem with redirects is that they blur separation on namespaces by
topics and attempt to keep distro presentation
according to your rules it is presentation of the openSUSE project (,too).
clean from problem solutions.

In my opinion this is more a problem of a search engine - this should
tread redirects (or their titles) not in the same way as articles with
content.

Searching for ATI, with redirect you get problem solution article in SDB. Not
really wanted for first time visitors. Solution can be to create ATI article
instead of redirect that will present ATI at opensuse and include links to
SDB.
No, now you get to the stump on http://wiki.opensuse.org/SDB:ATI. And
that stump contains mainly links to other articles (and no problem
solutions only one sentence on the ATI drivers - and that is even not
right (what is with the open driver?).

But even if ATI would lead to a "problem solution article" - in this
case the problem would be the not-existing of that simple presenting
article.
As long as there is non special article in the main namespace
you can make a redirect article in the main namespace to an other
article in the main namespace like
http://wiki.opensuse.org/Restricted_formats#ATI_graphics_drivers with
#REDIRECT [[Restricted_formats#ATI_graphics_drivers]].

If an user gives the internal search the three words "Submit a Bug" why
not lead him directly to the page that is fitting
(http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Submitting_bug_reports)?

And there a no clear rules or examples what an article in the main
namespace should contain and what not:
- should there be an extra article every word to troubleshooting or
should a bit problem solution be 'allowed' if it is only a minor part of
the hole article?

And if something is not working well in openSUSE 11.3 - would it be a
clever marketing to lure a possible new user in openSUSE 11.3 and leave
him probably disappointed of openSUSE in general after he failed?
What about just trying 11.2 first (in the example: use 11.2 untill all
ATI drivers are there and working for 11.3)?

On the other hand broken links from other sites (web and our infrastructure)
can make a lot more damage to openSUSE image then not so clean separation of
content.
+1
If I use Google for external search I only use the wiki.o.o:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=site%3Awiki.opensuse.org+ATI

The en.o.o search
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=site%3Aen.opensuse.org+ATI
is still giving me dead links even on the first google page:
http://en.opensuse.org/Talk:ATI_Driver_HOWTO
http://en.opensuse.org/index.php?title=ATI/The_Hard_Way&redirect=no
http://en.opensuse.org/Category:ATI
http://en.opensuse.org/Talk:ATI_Radeon_Xpress

Check Distrowatch and Alexa, and give your interpretation of trends.

You are referring to:
http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/opensuse.org#
and
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=suse /