[opensuse-wiki] Change in Template:Intro
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 02:59:21 -0500

The http://wiki.opensuse.org/Template:Intro is changed to be lesser intrusive
then the old one. The idea came from http://www.oxygen-icons.org/?page_id=2 .

** Advantages:

The same template can be used as:
* Intro
* Info
* Note
* With change in color of the bar plus bold text "WARNING:"
it will become template Warning
* With quotes around the text and italic text, it can be used as
template Quote
* With change in vertical bar color, and possibly adding background color
it can be base for miscellaneous Cleanup, Delete, Delete now, maintenance
messages.

It fits fine in Bento color scheme.
IMO, it fits better with ideas introduced with "Point here" template.

** Disadvantage:

Looking on other pages that use Intro template, it doesn't look very good, and
the only reason is that we took over, from old wiki, too many colorful,
framed, templates that are in no good relation to Bento style.

I'm looking now how to list categories without breaking readability.
Current problem is that list of categories, using category tree, writes over
preformatted text.

One solution is to use 70/28 split:

... Article text ...

#669900;padding:.5em;float:right; clear:right;height:auto;overflow:auto;">
... Navigation ...

The result is like:
http://wiki.opensuse.org/Help:Sandbox
The red line is left to mark edge, of content area.
IMO, it looks fine, but leaves too little space to article in case that we
want to add some images or diagrams to the text.
Good is that is is narrow and easy to read.

--
Regards Rajko,