Re: [opensuse-wiki] Special pages as "navigation help" to wiki visitors
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 01:13:10 -0500
On Saturday 29 May 2010 22:32:40 Shayon Mukherjee wrote:
On 05/30/2010 03:20 AM, Rajko M. wrote:
I used them, we used them, and for wiki editors is OK to use them, but if
we point regular visitors to them then we failed. Here is recent example
that triggered this comment:
http://wiki.opensuse.org/Special:PrefixIndex/marketing

Special pages are tools for wiki editors, not casual visitor.

First what is wrong is general concept that wiki visitors should use
Special pages to find something. ...

1st June is good date and also an ongoing process is required (let me
see/work on it) :-) .

Everything is ongoing in the web. It is not a book that must be "finished"
before you print it. Specially wiki type of sites are chronically never
finished, it is how wiki works.

We make some infrastructure and people have to pick up from what is published,
or, if they don't, then they get what they made for themselves. We are not pro
writers and the rest of openSUSE users are not customers. They have to
participate as much as they can, or whole FOSS construction fails.

Second is that it will list only pages in Main namespace, where very few
of articles with title "Marketing <some topic>" belong. The 3 files that
I found there are moved to openSUSE namespace, as they are all work
files and belong there, not in the Main. Links are not updated (mea
culpa), but they can be retrieved from list of missing pages.

So do you mean , from now on all/maximum Marketing pages be under
openSUSE namespace ? As maximum are work files :-) . But somewhere I
read that main name space is not encouraged every time

Main namespace is for files (articles) that are used to present openSUSE to
users. Using this definition, almost all of the Main namespace will be
marketing, but Marketing team work files don't go to namespace.

Thanks

--
Regards Rajko,