Re: [opensuse-wiki] German Wiki & Multi-Language Concept
  • From: Rupert Horstkötter <rhorstkoetter@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 10:51:38 +0200
Moin,

2010/4/13 Michael Loeffler <michl@xxxxxxxxxx>:
Moin,
On Monday 12 April 2010 09:00:57 Rupert Horstkötter wrote:
Community,

with the new openSUSE Wiki at wiki.opensuse.org fast approaching and
just around the corner, we're going to put additional workforce on it
to hold the target launch date of June 1st 2010, which is prior to the
release of openSUSE 11.3.

./.
2) Multi-Language Concept
In order to provide localized openSUSE documentation resources, i.e.
wikis to our user community, we currently follow the Wiki Translation
Process outlined at http://wiki.opensuse.org/Help:Translation. Time
has shown that this concept has several drawbacks both from a
initiating and a maintaining perspective. Thus I herewith propose the
following changes (the rest will be kept as is):

a) The initial creation of Mandatory pages, so far, has been done
within the English Master Wiki and this is suboptimal because it
fills up the master wiki.

Thus I propose to create a new languages-server languages.opensuse.org
serving as a temporary instance for initial translation efforts.
That way, translators have a dedicated sandbox-server to build their
localized Wiki prior requesting their own localized instance
<languagecode>.opensuse.org.
I like the sandbox idea. I guess a new language wiki needs to follow the new
scheme we created in wiki.opensuse.org from the beginning, right?

This should indeed be a requirement once we're live with both the
English and German Wikis on June 1st 2010, yes! Thanks for pointing
this out!

Best,

./.
Both the monthly meetings and the shut down of unmaintained wiki I think are
valuable methods to offer best information in our different languages wikis.
Due to the current state of the Wiki concept implementation with a
target launch date of June 1st 2010 for both the english and the
german wikis, I'd like to encourage everyone interested in the
discussion to focus on show-stopping aspects within the presented
concept. Please step up within one week from now on (until Sun, the
18th of April) with objections. Time is pressing and there's still
lots to do, but we're highly committed to push these efforts with
additional workforce. The goal is to generate even more fuzz for the
openSUSE project with the 11.3 release together with new sexy
instances for both the english and german wiki.

I'm looking forward to your comments and suggestions,
All together looks like a profound and doable concept.
Thanks for creating the concept and open this discussion (even if its not yet
a real discussion - maybe due to the broad acceptance of the concept).
Best

Michael Löffler, Product Management

Rupert Horstkötter, open-slx gmbh
openSUSE Board Member