Re: [opensuse-wiki] Template Sablon:PointHere used in Weekly news
  • From: Satoru Matsumoto <helios_reds@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 11:21:00 +0900
Subject: Re: [opensuse-wiki] Template Sablon:PointHere used in Weekly news
From: Rajko M. <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: opensuse-wiki@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon Feb 08 2010 01:18:20 GMT+0900 (JST)

There was question on IRC.

HeliosReds asked me do they have to remove Sablon:PointHere from older
articles on ja.o.o.

The answer is that is not mandatory.

Thank you, Rajko.

The reason why I asked you is, I was wondering if there are any problems
when we continue to use old Sablon:PointHere template in our local $LANG
wiki hereafter.

But after you told me the history how Sablon:PointHere template was
made, I could understand why you replaced Sablon:PointHere with
PointHere. ;-)

We translators of weekly news are using script or tool that simplify the
translation work by automatically replacing fixed phrases. In response
to this change, translators need to make a choice between alternatives
below:

a) prepare a new PointHere template in your $LANG.o.o

b) modify the Translate.ini file in order to replace PointHere with
former Sablon:PointHere, if you won't prepare a new PointHere
template in your $LANG.o.o

# Since the Sablon:PointHere template will be no longer used in en.o.o,
# a) is strongly recommended, though.

I removed all for 2 reasons:

1) I should have done that long ago when there was few articles, but then I
didn't know how to automate find and replace, or function did not exist in
browser, and it would take quite some time to fix all articles manually.

2) It was opportunity to measure how long it takes to perform relatively
simple operation [1] on mass of articles, about 110 if them, with
precondition
that final result has to be clean and all possible issues solved on the run,
including notice to interested parties via the depreciated template and mail
list. Here I was missing wiki forum, as message to general chat forum would
be
the same as message to offtopic-opensuse mail list. Nobody there really
cares.

The result is about 90 minutes per person.
There was no major issues, beside Konqueror showed another 1, or maybe 2 bugs
(font size and CSS loading), but that is another pair of shoes.

[1] Simple operation was:
1) Open page from the list in another tab,
2) open page for edit,
3) couple of keystrokes to find and replace,
4) save article,
5) go to 1)

Although as Rajko wrote that it is not mandatory to replace
Sablon:PointHere in all the past issues if you won't remove the tamplate
form your $LANG wiki, you can make it easy with Firefox assisted by
"It's all text" add-on, with which you can use your favorite editer for
replacing words in text erea on web page.

Best,

--
_/_/ Satoru Matsumoto - openSUSE Member - Japan _/_/
_/_/ Marketing/Weekly News/openFATE Screening Team _/_/