Re: [opensuse-wiki] Wiki transition: Status
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 00:06:11 -0600
On Monday 25 January 2010 09:14:01 Rupert Horstkötter wrote:

+1, but .. doesn't that will become a showstopper at some point in
time? I mean, at some point in time we WILL release this to the public
and everything needs to work for both logged-in and logged-out users.

That problem will be solved. My favorites supect is iChain, as there is
another problem with current login process that curbs use of standard wiki
tools to fight spammers, but that is another story.

Rush is not good.

Just check the:
http://en.opensuse.org/Transition_guidelines

* Should we use categorytree instead of navbar templates ?

My answer is that as long as we don't know properties of that tool, we can't
answer the question. My experiment with Category tree was just basic setup to
see is it working at all.

* Categorization - whole paragraph shows confusion:
1. we have no control over categories, anyone can add some
2. we can define only basic category tree layout

For both we can't predict what will be needed, or push articles in certain
category, just to have it categorized. Categories are like keywords, there
will be as many as it is needed.

All we can do is to remove duplicates that use synonyms, and change too
specialized, or obscure category names to more common, easier to find.

* Templates (Just as normal articles, or categories)
There will be as many as it is needed. All we can do is to prevent layout
charade of templates that do the same with different layout, which is already
done, bring existing templates in line with general usability rules for web
pages that are free available on http://useit.com and keep new creations in
line with that.

* Structure
Not close to be known. Discussion about namespaces is not done.
I promised the list, but the work doesn't go very fast.
There is a lot to see around, find some software that can help sorting out
current fond of articles.

My opinion on namespaces is that is better to have few more and allow users to
use targeted search as it is presented in http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:SDB then
to have to little and start cramming stuff in available namespaces as it is
now.

Search (InputBox) is not the only extension that can be limited to certain
namespace, so we gain better flexibility applying extensions that one project
needs and the other not.

Bedside existing, I would add:
KDE
GNOME
YaST
Artwork
News

The problem to find articles with default search in Main namespace can be
solved:
- with portal pages, that will contain list of articles that user can browse
and search for particular namespace.
- instructions to user how to enable search in user preferences
- site map

--
Regards Rajko,

openSUSE Wiki Team: http://en.opensuse.org/Wiki_Team