[opensuse-wiki] Re: Mentoring session - December 27th, 17h00 UTC
  • From: Mike Gentry <mike.h.gentry.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 11:35:31 +0000 (UTC)
On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 09:57:40 +0100, DenverD wrote:

ok, i kinda thought i understood the distinction (that is, i thought the
"wiki team" were those who had laid the foundation and the "forum squad"
were those who came late, via a plea in the forums)...but, then i got
confused again when i read fsundermeyer's "Under Construction: New Wiki
Underway" in 22 Dec 09 news, where s/he wrote: "As mentioned, all tasks
are being done by the wiki team. We'd ask members who are not part of
this team to participate in our mentoring session and to coordinate with
us on our mailinglist before jumping in."

which leads me to believe that the "forum squad" may be a temporary
distinction and those recent volunteers who stood up when asked (via the
forum) will become a 'real' member of the "wiki team" by participating
in the mentoring session..

is that correct?

if so, that still leaves a question in my mind: when oldcpu (for
example) recently raised his hand in the forum, was he included in the
"forum squad" because of where and when he 'joined', *or* was he
included in the "wiki team" since he had been "contributing to the Wiki
for ages"??

you may wonder why i ask: because, i was surprised after i thought i had
volunteered to help out on the "wiki team" to learn i had unknowingly
joined the "forums squad" even though i've been poking my nose into the
wiki "for ages" correcting typos, misspelling, clear as mud passages,
and etc...having never seen the need to "join" anything in order to
contribute..

perhaps this will all become clear...hope so,

respectfully,
DenverD

You may be thinking about it too hard. :)

Forum squad was not a term I had seen used anywhere before starting the
'forum squad introductions' thread. It wasn't meant to be derogatory, or
to make an absolute distinction, but there is a distinction there: some
people have been designing the new wiki - I presume they are the 'wiki
team'. I'm not part of the wiki team, and turned up due to the latest
'call to arms' on the forum, so I guess that makes me part of a 'forum
squad'.

To the extent that you and oldcpu didn't design the new wiki, and post on
the forum, you are more than welcome to join me...

Mike.