Re: [opensuse-wiki] AI2, AI 5 & AI6 Status report
  • From: Shayon Mukherjee <hkwarlock@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 14:05:47 +0530
Hello ,

Christian Boltz wrote:
2. Not sure how difficult that'd be but I'd appreciate to have a
second article-template with a vertical right-aligned table of
contents instead of the horizontal one we currently have. I assume
this is a matter of minutes for wiki seniors :-) Is it? Not sure, but
I THINK this may look even better. May you come up with a second one
to compare please?

If you want to steal some code ;-) see
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Template:TOC_right&action=edit

Well we already have that in our wiki :) [1]
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Portal_Template

IMHO it would look even better with some distance (margin-bottom: 7px;)
after each box. However I don't want to change the templates in the wiki
for now, therefore I changed it using Firebug ;-) You can see the
screenshot on www.cboltz.de/tmp/portal-margin.png

I very much appreciate your comments.IMHO having a number of white
spaces in the page/wiki would make a impression of an less-text page,
which i dont want want.Apart from this if you have a close then you may
see that inside the box and also beside it we already have some space
according to the text/layout so as to make the reading possible and make
it prominent.Hence the div boxes are very much suitable and applies best
to the current situation(initially designed).

Still i would love to have others opinion on this matter :) . As i just
made a point from my side.
Regards,

Christian Boltz

Rupert/All ,

2. Not sure how difficult that'd be but I'd appreciate to have a
second article-template with a vertical right-aligned table of
contents instead of the horizontal one we currently have. I assume
this is a matter of minutes for wiki seniors :-) Is it? Not sure, but
I THINK this may look even better. May you come up with a second one
to compare please?

Well its not a major task to perform :) . But for now IMO lets have the
second one for test and comparison with TOCright , then we can sort
things out to prepare a second template.As i dont feel that theres
actually a need of a second template just for the inclusion of
TOCright , but yeah ! its important to provide users with that
information so an option/statement below the intro-frame or something
similar can be provided in order to guide them better.

I disagree. We'll not transfer 0% semi-verified stuff to the new
instance. While we can certainly focus on adopting non-rubbish content
to the defined standards at first glance we urgently need to do the QA
check for everything we have. ONLY that way we'll be able to stop the
mess.

That said, I'm going to post a "call for contributors" to the openSUSE
forums and I hope to gain some volunteers for the actual "Article
Transition" that way. I'd appreciate very much if wiki seniors could
act as mentors here for volunteers that might step up.

Well i focused on transferring the Non-Rubbish content to the new wiki
and then check the Articles on the basis on the Article Templates.Never
mind ;) , your idea sounds great . Just keep the listed updated with the
recent news

[1] http://en.opensuse.org/Template:TOCright

Shayon Mukherjee
openSUSE Wiki Team