Re: [opensuse-wiki] Are there any naming conventions?
  • From: Marko Jung <mjung@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 20:50:40 +0200
Hi.

Javier Llorente schrieb:
I have read somewhere on the wiki, that in case of doubt, you should
follow Wikipedia's style. I think that that's the best idea.

The Style Guide [1] says nothing on page names.
Wikipedia has many rules for naming pages [2] and when to use subpages [3]. I would like to cite a short excerpt from that article:

"Subpages were originally used on Wikipedia to differentiate between subjects to create topical hierarchies of articles, but this proved unworkable because articles tend to belong in more than one hierarchy. The present system of disambiguation was adopted instead, and the Wikipedia:Do not use subpages policy had to be rigorously enforced, as well as retroactively applied. As of mid-2004, the category system supports hierarchical organization while still allowing an article to belong to multiple categories."

I would also propose this for the openSUSE wiki.

Are we going to hold an election soon? ;-)
Yes, please see [4].

[1] http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_Style_Guide
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Naming_conventions
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Subpage
[4] http://en.opensuse.org/Board_Election

Cheers,
Marko

----- Original Message ---- From: Marko Jung <mjung@xxxxxxx> To:
opensuse-wiki@xxxxxxxxxxxx Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 8:21:53 PM Subject: [opensuse-wiki] Are there any naming conventions?

Hi,

I am wondering if we have a naming convention for wiki pages.

Would it be better to have Board/Election (general info or
redirect to actual year) Board/Election/2007 (year specific infos) Board/Election/2008 (year specific infos) or Board Election Board
Election 2007 Board Election 2008

Another example would be: Events/FrOSCon, Events/FrOSCon/2007,
Events/FrOSCon/2008, ... or FrOSCon, FrOSCon 2007, FrOSCon 2008, ...

Which Version do we prefer? Using Subpages (1st Variant) or several pages with the year number as prefix (with a whitespace)? I am asking
because Wikipedia deprecated the subpages and just uses it for
dividing large documents. They now use categories for grouping
related information.

Regards, Marko