Re: [opensuse-wiki] OpenSuSE's wiki and Fedora's wiki
  • From: Mike McGrath <mmcgrath@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 08:35:41 -0500 (CDT)
On Thu, 3 Jul 2008, Martin Lasarsch wrote:

On Wednesday 02 July 2008 19:18:32 jdd wrote:
Martin Lasarsch a écrit :
What do you all think of your translated wiki? Good? Bad?

hmm ... i have to go now, i will say something more about this tomorrow.

* keeping the translated pages in sync. Using for the translated pages
a page with the very same name that the english page have (with a
redirect to the real translated page) makes it easy to find all the
various translation by the way of interwiki links, but need much work
for the localized wiki writers. Syncing the pages *after* the initial
translation is a nightmare I don't know a solution yet

yes, this is the biggest problem. I saw it again when with the 11.0 update. On
many wikis is a different version of the "source" page in english. You could
argue that this is ok as long the content is nearly the same, and i'm not
really sure ... of course the language maintainers should have some freedom
what they are doing.

I'm afraid we're going to run into this as well. Is the entire OpenSuSE
wiki translated or just specific pages? Fedora's wiki is pretty old and
has a lot of valid good content, but also a lot of forgotten content.
Somewhere around 10,000 pages. I really can't imagine the whole thing
getting translated.

-Mike
< Previous Next >
List Navigation