Re: [opensuse-wiki] Categories n-th time
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 00:29:46 -0500
On Tuesday 15 April 2008 12:50:12 pm Josh wrote:
Rajko M. wrote:
We can focus on openSUSE:Browse first, though if some idea comes about
Portal

nothing forbids to implement it on the fly. Important is to set limited
number of elements that we can work on, just as Frank mentioned. Although
I would not spend much time to find which are the most important, as I
already attempted to do. With few editors for all tasks, we have to see
how to improve, if necessary, openSUSE browse, and that is all. When time
comes it can be rebuild from scratch.

However, in my opinion, major task is to create environment where someone
that
is asking what to do have an answer. I have to look for examples in other
places. Someone had that problem and it has some solution. We can't
advertise participation without having some tasks to offer, having tools
and standards in place.

For instance this looks good:
http://www.openoffice.org/about_us/new.html

This is example what I meant as smaller tasks that belong to big project:
http://groupware.openoffice.org/glow/dev/opentasks.html

There is many more pages listed with query "openoffice open tasks"

Than this can help with idea about ownership of tasks/projects:
http://www.mozilla.org/owners.html
If someone has a question about particular topic it is possible to find
with whom to talk.

The Wikipedia idea works because there is huge number of topics and every
contributor can find something that interesting. The openSUSE wiki is
different, with many more users that are starting with Linux. Just
stating that they can contribute is not good enough. We have to identify
tasks for them.

--
Regards, Rajko

Ok so what will we be using as our official categories? Are we going to
use what is on openSUSE:Popular_Topics/Hierarchy or something more
condensed?

That Mozilla owners page is very close to what I was talking about in my
last e-mail! Very cool, that would be a good way to allow users to know
what portals/categories need owners, peers and who to contact.

Sure. The names and duties on every project are IMHO very important. Many of
us would like to help, but don't want to jump in the middle of someone's work
and mess with it, so people would like to know whom to ask what has to be
done. OpenOffice has in similar way as Mozilla, list contacts and open tasks
in every project.

Getting content that will guide new editors to what needs work and what
categories to use is good, but what will we be doing about our existing
mess? We will slowly be prevented new problems but we still have yet to
solve problems with how the categories will be used, getting editors, etc.

That is a very good question and remark.
I have the same feeling that without more people editing wiki in some
systematic way, we are going nowhere, slowly sinking. Number of contributions
is growing which is the goal, but missing meta information about wiki, about
creating and editing articles, help files that explain how to do something in
consonant way with others, ways to split big tasks in smaller, track
execution, and many more things that I, even, can't name will prevent us to
recruit editors that not so much time on their hands.

Are we going to just at least get the articles in the
openSUSE:Popular_Topics categorized under the official categories? This
would probably be a good idea and it wouldn't take all that long. Then the
pages that are most wanted will be easy to find because they will be
properly categorized. Then with these new pages to guide new editors,
hopefully all new pages will be properly categorized.

That is idea too. Create something and than ask others what can be done
better, and improve interactively.

Looking on http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Popular_Topics:
* 1 About openSUSE
This seems to be a good name for meta information on anything openSUSE
(project, distribution, wiki, community, <what else?>)
* 2 Application Descriptions
Maybe to name it 'Software Reviews' ? That is what we actually need, as
description can be picked up from application development web page. Our
original contribution would be some review. I tried to write some directions
in http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Writing_Software_Overview but it has to be
checked by someone that really wrote reviews. Hmm, Zonker?

* 3 Community
Part of this should go in Community subcategory of About openSUSE. I marked
what looks like meta information and should go in About openSUSE. Maybe some
articles would need also Participate subcategory.

o 3.1 Communicate
o 3.2 Meetings
o 3.3 News
o 3.4 Participate
o 3.5 Policies and Guidelines -> About openSUSE
o 3.6 Projects -> About openSUSE
o 3.7 Teams -> About openSUSE
o 3.8 Wishlists
* 4 Development
I have to check some wiki pages for subcategories here, but in general project
leads should comment on this. One more reason to have them listed in the way
Mozilla or OpenOffice do that. Actually some information exists, but it
should be checked how complete and accurate it is.

This few are probably most wanted.

* 5 Downloading
o 5.1 Factory
o 5.2 Release
* 6 Hardware
o 6.1 HCL
* 7 Help
o 7.1 FAQs
o 7.2 HOWTOs
* 8 Install openSuSE
* 9 Multimedia and Graphics
o 9.1 Branding
o 9.2 Eyecandy and Graphics
* 10 Software Management
o 10.1 Repositories
o 10.2 YaST
o 10.3 Zypper
o 10.4 Other
* 11 YaST or Administration

I have to continue this tomorrow. Please review this and give your opinion.

Once all of this gets rolling I think it would be a good idea to come back
to the portal.

Agree.

--
Regards, Rajko