Re: [opensuse-wiki] Categories n-th time
  • From: Josh <guitarist198@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 10:50:12 -0700 (PDT)
Rajko M. wrote:
We can focus on openSUSE:Browse first, though if some idea comes about Portal

nothing forbids to implement it on the fly. Important is to set limited
number of elements that we can work on, just as Frank mentioned. Although I
would not spend much time to find which are the most important, as I already
attempted to do. With few editors for all tasks, we have to see how to
improve, if necessary, openSUSE browse, and that is all. When time comes it
can be rebuild from scratch.

However, in my opinion, major task is to create environment where someone
that
is asking what to do have an answer. I have to look for examples in other
places. Someone had that problem and it has some solution. We can't
advertise participation without having some tasks to offer, having tools and
standards in place.

For instance this looks good:
http://www.openoffice.org/about_us/new.html

This is example what I meant as smaller tasks that belong to big project:
http://groupware.openoffice.org/glow/dev/opentasks.html

There is many more pages listed with query "openoffice open tasks"

Than this can help with idea about ownership of tasks/projects:
http://www.mozilla.org/owners.html
If someone has a question about particular topic it is possible to find with
whom to talk.

The Wikipedia idea works because there is huge number of topics and every
contributor can find something that interesting. The openSUSE wiki is
different, with many more users that are starting with Linux. Just stating
that they can contribute is not good enough. We have to identify tasks for
them.

--
Regards, Rajko

Ok so what will we be using as our official categories? Are we going to use
what is on openSUSE:Popular_Topics/Hierarchy or something more condensed?

That Mozilla owners page is very close to what I was talking about in my last
e-mail! Very cool, that would be a good way to allow users to know what
portals/categories need owners, peers and who to contact.

Getting content that will guide new editors to what needs work and what
categories to use is good, but what will we be doing about our existing mess?
We will slowly be prevented new problems but we still have yet to solve
problems with how the categories will be used, getting editors, etc.

Are we going to just at least get the articles in the openSUSE:Popular_Topics
categorized under the official categories? This would probably be a good idea
and it wouldn't take all that long. Then the pages that are most wanted will
be easy to find because they will be properly categorized. Then with these new
pages to guide new editors, hopefully all new pages will be properly
categorized.

Once all of this gets rolling I think it would be a good idea to come back to
the portal.