Re: [opensuse-wiki] Categories n-th time
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 22:44:41 -0500
On Monday 14 April 2008 09:08:49 pm Josh wrote:
Rajko M.

Thanks for hanging around.

I guess that having link to
http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_Style_Guide
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Browse
http://en.opensuse.org/Portal/Templates
with very short explanation that they should be used as guidance will
help a lot.

And categories in openSUSE:Browse would be the official ones.

As mentioned, no one can prevent users from creating new categories, the
Wikipedia has tons of them, but with set of official categories wiki
editors would have lesser to worry about. Message to users would be
simple: If you want your article to be automatically listed in 'openSUSE
Browse' than use provided categories.

The general idea is to limit wiki editors focus to some articles so that
quality can be raised. New guys, when they come with question where they
can help, should have answer, not as I used to say: "Look around and find
what would you like to do."

--
Regards, Rajko

This all sounds good. Now I'm wondering, seeing as though we do not have
too many people focused on reorganizing the wiki, where do you think us few
should concentrate our efforts first? Should we be working on this idea of
official categories or focusing more on the portal?

Maybe once these two projects get going we can keep a running page of what
portals need maintainers and what aspects of the wiki need work. This way,
we can point new editors to this page and ask them to choose a focal point.
I know there are many parts to the wiki and the list could easily get
large, but we could at least have some main sections and most definitely a
list of the unmaintained portals.

We can focus on openSUSE:Browse first, though if some idea comes about Portal
nothing forbids to implement it on the fly. Important is to set limited
number of elements that we can work on, just as Frank mentioned. Although I
would not spend much time to find which are the most important, as I already
attempted to do. With few editors for all tasks, we have to see how to
improve, if necessary, openSUSE browse, and that is all. When time comes it
can be rebuild from scratch.

However, in my opinion, major task is to create environment where someone that
is asking what to do have an answer. I have to look for examples in other
places. Someone had that problem and it has some solution. We can't
advertise participation without having some tasks to offer, having tools and
standards in place.

For instance this looks good:
http://www.openoffice.org/about_us/new.html

This is example what I meant as smaller tasks that belong to big project:
http://groupware.openoffice.org/glow/dev/opentasks.html

There is many more pages listed with query "openoffice open tasks"

Than this can help with idea about ownership of tasks/projects:
http://www.mozilla.org/owners.html
If someone has a question about particular topic it is possible to find with
whom to talk.

The Wikipedia idea works because there is huge number of topics and every
contributor can find something that interesting. The openSUSE wiki is
different, with many more users that are starting with Linux. Just stating
that they can contribute is not good enough. We have to identify tasks for
them.

--
Regards, Rajko
http://en.opensuse.org/Portal needs helpful hands.