Re: [opensuse-wiki] Add a friendly banner at the top of frontpage?
  • From: Kevin Dupuy <kevindupuy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 00:21:10 -0600
On Feb 9, 2008, at 2:45 PM, Rajko M. wrote:
It would be nice and it might be possible as 'Discover it' is image.
Replacing it with some nice image should not be a problem, though there is a
problem where to get that image. There is 6 banners total that we need:

* Get Software
* Wiki
* Build Software
* User Directory
* News
* Shop

I'll try to create some, though some idea where to start is appreciated.
What theme to start with? Nature, technology, faces, events, holidays ...

--
Regards, Rajko.
See http://en.opensuse.org/Portal

Nice idea, although I'm not sure that we're talking about the same thing.
What I was talking about was a banner, similar to what they have over at http://www.gnome.org

Now, granted, right now GNOME's image is an unusual mathematic equation (you'll have to visit the site to get the joke), but what I mean is some sort of nice image with the latest big openSUSE event.

My ideas are, if there's something big going on, e.g. when a new openSUSE website is started, and several times during a release's development cycle, for example, when the full roadmap is announced, when the "Sneak Peaks" series come out later in 11's development cycle, a countdown for the release, and the actual release itself with links to feature tour, installation and upgrade info, and the download/shop page. Other big news, too, like when they had the Hack Week last summer they could link to the idea.oS.org page.

Basically, anything that an openSUSE user or newcomer would want to know, think about the average openSUSE user who maybe is on the page, but doesn't follow mailinglists or file bugs, and maybe doesn't follow or even know the News portal exists.

When there really is no major news, then we can have just a simple "openSUSE 10.3" directory with links to the News announcement, Installation page, and Help.

It could be located in the center, and as I said it probably would require moving and organizing the front page, but I think that it needs a clean up and a refresh anyway.

--
Kevin "Yo" Dupuy | Public Mail: <kevin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Hope for America: Ron Paul for President <RonPaul2008.com>