[opensuse-wiki] We need consent how to write articles
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 10:38:44 -0600

We can't expect that every potential wiki contributor goes trough training to
be able to write articles, but we need consistent style guide.

1. openSUSE Style Guide
This is important for wiki maintainers, so that they all can act in the same
way. The article http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_Style_Guide was written
when wiki had few contributors, now it should be rewritten. The guide
should be modular, ie. main article that will give basic instructions that are
easy to follow and list topic details for editors on other pages. I would
base guide on Wikipedia experience as much as possible.

1-1. Article title length, form and capitalization.
Some examples of very long titles and titles with different style for the same
purpose can be found on http://en.opensuse.org/Portal/All

1-2. Use of subpages
With single benefit that we have bread crumbs to go back, titles are getting
out of control. Title became information container about all topics discussed.
That doesn't help to find a page, one has to provide index anyway.

2. This also brings another question that was presented before about new
namespaces like:
Bugs: For what it is already used title form "Bugs: ..."
Applications: For applications reviews.
Software: as alternative to Applications with wider use
Development: For all development related articles.
KDE:
GNOME:
X:
HCL: