Re: [opensuse-wiki] help/support performance
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 14:42:36 +0100 (CET)

The Monday 2007-11-12 at 13:30 +0100, Christian Boltz wrote:

FYI: that icon in my desktop fires up an unintelligible page in
German (http://help.opensuse.org/), with nothing obvious like the
British or Spanish flag to change the language.

As jdd already wrote, your browser is probably misconfigured and has
accept-language set to german.

Dunno, it's a browser I have never used. It's not mozilla, firefox, konqueror... It it "web browser 2.20.0". It pops an error going to preferences, where there is no language defined at all.

I have no idea what browser this is - and remember that I'm wearing my absolute newbie hat, I know nothing :-P

For your info, I have selected "English" as language, exited the program, hit the help icon again... and it again comes back in German - I verify that English is the selected language in preferencees. The icon is firing... I have no idea what the icon is firing, looking at "properties" of the icon. It just says "online help", no path to a binary. It opens the link "http://help.opensuse.org/";.

The spanish page exists: http://help.opensuse.org/index.html.es
I also verified with a manual telnet call [1] that the server delivers
it if your browser preferences are correct ;-)

Then the browser above - which I assure you is not the browser I normally use, ie, firefox - has now the correct preferences and pulls the German page. Sure, it must be broken and this deserves a bugzilla - but remember the newbie hat, I know nothing :-p

Ah, looking at "ps afx" I learn that it is epiphany:

8105 ? Sl 0:06 epiphany http://help.opensuse.org

but this I do not know, remember, and you would have to have a long support conversation with me, if I discover where is the help forum or mail list and how to bottom post and... Ok, I shut up X'-)

However, you are right that there should be a language selector - the
best solution is probably to use a language dropdown as done in the
wiki.

yep :-)

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.