Re: [opensuse-wiki] Wiki cleanup
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 20:31:41 -0600
On Thursday 01 March 2007 10:28, Frank Sundermeyer wrote:

> ==> Conclusions / Action Items:

I would start new threads with subtopics/action items.

1) discuss creating of new Namespaces
Portal, Development,...
What else should be isolated from Main space that new users can see first?
What may confuse them more than help?

2) clean up categories
Hmm. Greg, jdd and more (including me) tried, but without clear naming
hierarchy it was impossible to accomplish much, not to mention
a lot of work when comes to update pages that should link to new
named categories, and not so many hands.

3) continue working on the portal pages
Present is far from ideal and the goal is to be more like original
Wikipedia Portal pages.

4) delete / merge duplicates and unify SDB, HowTos, Tips...
Identify candidates seems to be first task here.

5) investigate better search engine
I can side jdd's opinion. Google, somehow, is doing quite good job.

6) discuss target groups topic
New users is the most critical group.
Advanced users is next, but we have to clarify what skills differentiate
advanced user form novice.
Any other category of users and what makes difference to others.

I would like that everybody gives initial proposal, nothing comprehensive,
just something to start discussion with.

We have to develop naming hierarchy/schema.
It will help us in 1, 2 and 3.

Just to underscore, there is a small group that has shown permanet interest in
openSUSE wiki, and that are for now all our human resources. We can do a lot,
but we have to use this opportunity and take ownership of particular tasks.

I'll continue with Portal and research naming hierarchy on
http://dmoz.org/Computers/
and applicability to our wiki, and keep you posted.

--
Regards, Rajko.
http://en.opensuse.org/Portal