Re: [opensuse-wiki] Another user that seems to ask for attention.
  • From: Rajko M <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 04:23:16 -0500
Rajko M wrote:

This is my reply to Eric Flores that didn't make in opensuse-wiki,
probably because some technical problem:

eoflores@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > Quoted from:
> > http://www.nabble.com/Another-user-that-seems-to-ask-for-attention.
> > -tf2138356.html#a5901241

Eric,

The www.nabble.com is service that is reposting mails from opensuse.org
mail lists in the fashion that they appear like they originate on their
web forums. I don't use their services, so if you want to discuss
advertising, not only with me, but with other openSUSE contributors too,
please subscribe to opensuse-wiki list. The proper place might be also
opensuse-project mail list.

How to do that you can find on
http://en.opensuse.org/Communicate
page.

> > Exactly!
> >
> > What do yo mean another user "seems to aks for attention."
> > I'm not asking for any particular attention.

It was not only about you, but you are first with own web page listed on
en.opensuse.org. Advertising was never discussed in depth on openSUSE.
It was previous discussion related to attempts to post commercial links
that have nothing to do with openSUSE, but never about rules for people
that want to create and build their own small business around openSUSE.

That is the reason to post this answer on opensuse-wiki (note CC field).
I want others to give opinion too.

You are not alone, and more people might want to do the same, but don't
want to upset others, so we have to see how to solve this.

I think that any legitimate effort should be allowed, and even place
more prominent than user own page, but to prevent unnecessary
discussions of type "he can, why I can't", "this was allowed, why not
this too" we need answers to few questions:
- What is allowed, and what not, besides what is written on
http://en.opensuse.org/Legal
- Do we have to publish rules?
- Do we have to vote on every occasion, or we will use both, rules and
voting.
- Do we need openSUSE market place?
- What people would buy/sell/advertise?

> > I'm trying to contribute with my efforts ...

> > to be PayPal.
> > Yes! The web site is simple and down to earth no fancy code just
get up and
> > running was my point.

Setup web page is not "just to get up and running" as your initial
effort contain a lot of elements that can be found very often on web
pages that exist for all other reasons, but to help visitors. Now it is
looking much better than few words and PayPal button, as it was in the
very beginning.

> > Initially I wanted to sell something out of my web
> > after a lot of thoughts.
> > I decided to putt out the PayPal button.
> > The point of my web is to help new users and or entities managed by
> > foreigners to get a grip on Linux.

> > Hope you understand!

I do understand any legitimate effort, but also that building a trust
relationship in todays Internet is major problem and web page creation
is mix of art, technical knowledge and experience how to avoid many of
pitfalls.

Rajko.
Visit http://en.opensuse.org/MiniSUSE