Re: [opensuse-wiki] [FPR] Home page: 2nd stage of proposals
  • From: Christoph Thiel <cthiel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 17:42:40 +0200 (CEST)
Hi there,

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006, Frank Sundermeyer wrote:

> the latest FPR (Front page redesign ;-)) ) thread is starting to get
> complex, so with new proposals (stage 2), I am starting a new thread.
> Hope it's OK for you - this way it will definitely be easier for me to
> assign your comments to the correct proposal(s). For this very reason, I
> would like to separate threads concerning the Home page and the Splash
> screen, too.
>
> This is about the homepage.

First of all, I really enjoyed the revised designs! But there is one
thing, that I'd like to bring up for discussion: Do you guys actually like
the icons? IMHO they should be a bit smaller. In addition to that I have
the feeling that we aren't following a clear style when it comes to icons.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but we are kind of mixing different icon sets
(that use different color palettes) on the front page? Some of them tend
to look KDE-like. Others don't.

On the splash thingy: How about using a white background? Looking at
http://www.wikipedia.org/, we could just use openSUSE as a heading + the
geeko/openSUSE logo in the middle of the page and group our different
languages around them. Having a search box with the drop-down menu to
select a language on the bottom of the page might be nice to have as well.

Regards
Christoph