Re: [opensuse-wiki] What is acceptable topic
  • From: Rajko M <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 00:01:16 -0500
Peter Flodin wrote:
On 7/12/06, Rajko M <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've seen many pages created fast, and many with the problem.
One written in Chinese and not marked as translation, one or two links
per page, enterprise products as a topic, links to pages that require
login, login name in the title. One of the links is to page that
recommends program that should punch a whole in the firewall. It seems
useful, but any trojan has it's viable explanation, and hidden purpose.

Sure a lot of these are probably unwanted, but it is very important
not to turn away new contributors.

A lot of pages start badly :-), but over time become something useful.

The important thing is to be consistent in these matters, and to
actually have defined rules for the wiki, no page should be deleted
from the wiki without good reason.

Personally I don't see a huge harm in creating pages that nobody will
look at, but the person should be guided to what we want (if we can
agree on such a thing :-)

A different matter would be breaking existing pages, but even then the
first reaction should always be education and the benefit of the
doubt, and banning should be the last.

Pflodo
Peter Flodin

Agree.

It is obvious that I was upset with speed of "contributions" and lack of reactions form mentioned user. That is probably main reason to come here and ask, what is appropriate, and how to act in similar situations.

Probably is time for another addition to policies and guidelines that will regulate how to act if new user doesn't pay attention to messages on his discussion page, removes "delete" template and continues with "contributions".

Delete was drastic, but parallel free support for enterprise product on openSUSE is not something that helps Novell. It competes with payed support, and cuts the branch that we are sitting on :-|

Rajko.
Visit http://en.opensuse.org/MiniSUSE