Re: [opensuse-wiki] page naming and translations
  • From: "Peter Flodin" <pflodin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 07:51:23 +1100
On 2/23/06, jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I see this.
> >
> > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Interwiki_bot
> >
> > do you think it's a good solution?
>
> to go on, I set up a wiki page here
>
> http://en.opensuse.org/May_we_use_wikibots
>
> where you can find links and give your advice. it seems the
> script can be run with ordinary rights (no sysop nor admin),
> but once run, a great bunch of pages will be writen, so we
> should all be ok to do this :-)
>
> even if we don't run the script now, knowing we will do in
> the future will impact the work of the translators, so the
> answer can't wait too long.

Some facts:
1. I have never run, written or operated a wikibot :-)
2. Wikibots can't be stopped, other than blocking accounts used by
them. Anybody with a user account can automate the action of HTTP
requests from their machine to operate the wiki.

I think we should as a group have these guidelines:
1. All wikibots should run in an interactive mode until proven
reliable. ie a human confirms any edit action.
2. All wikibots should run under their own account eg "jdd bot", with
their user page describing what it does, who runs it, when, etc. This
means actions can be easily tracked (and reverted).

Peter 'Pflodo' Flodin