Re: [opensuse-wiki] page naming and translations
  • From: jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 14:58:01 +0100
Stephan Binner wrote:
> On Tuesday, 21. February 2006 12:46, jdd wrote:
>
>> If you think a new local page deserves translating, add the
>> {{IW}}, this will give links in the sidebar to nonexistent
>> other langage pages and lead somebody to translate it :-)
>
> I really fail to see the advantage if any of this IW template solution:
>
> - Language links are now duplicated in the left bar on several pages,
> eg Download, Product_Highlights

this can happen in two situations:

* the page is done by transclusion of other pages, the
problem is the same with any way of interwki use

* the naming convention was not respected byt the
translators and they added manually an interwiki link. it's
very easy to clic on the nonexistent link, and create the
english named page as a redirect to the langage one, as
should be to follow the guide, then deleting the extra
interwiki link.

I had myself a long time before understanding the interest
of having english named pages in the french wiki and need to
edit some of my own pages.

> - This macro has to be manually added to every translation of the page
> within en.opensuse.org instead only once to Template:<foo>_Translations

I don't know that one, may be the two can be merged

> - It adds link to pages in other wikis which don't exist and even worse
> MediaWiki doesn't display with color that they don't exist, eg it
> links now to es:Product_Hightlights which doesn't exist.

it's not a bug, it's a feature. most of the actual users
don't even know there is a translated wiki, they go straight
to opensuse.org.

with these links they know such a localized wiki exists. If
the page is not translated yet, they are encouraged to do
so, and anyway if they come from the en page they read
english and can return to the english page.

I think it's the better way to advertise the localized wikis.

anyway, we should work to enhance the templates (and it
would be nice to fill the templates page), because it's the
better way to have an coherent wiki.

French one:
http://fr.opensuse.org/Modèles

English one:
http://en.opensuse.org/Templates
(and no translations template in it)

For example, here, as soon as a new localized wiki is
created, is enough to edit the template to have it
advertised on all the translated pages

but don't think I wan to oblige you to anything. we must
discuss things and enhance from the others work

sincerely yours
jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net