Re: [opensuse-wiki] opensuse.org frontpage lift-up/redesign
  • From: Peter Flodin <pflodin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 23:31:50 +1100
On 2/10/06, houghi <houghi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Did I miss the discussion in some way? From the minutes:
>
> Action Item michl:
> - discuss front page redesign on opensuse-wiki
>
> If I have to wait a bit more. please let me know.

Well we could start the discussion now...

To summarise, the opensuse frontpage has over 3 million page hits (not
1 million as the IRC log stated), and I feel (and I don't thing there
were any objections), that the current front page could do with an
overhaul as the 3 million hits could have been served something more
exciting, more informative, more captivating etc.

We can either discuss the process of developing a new page, or discuss
what should go on a new page.

I will start with what I think:
1. I think the latest news should be more prominent, probably a
heading with a synopsis and then a link if you want to read more, for
each item.
2. The different language wikis should be more prominent, unless we
create a "splash" screen for www.opensuse.org, like what has been done
for www.wikipedia.org, and not just redirect to the english one.
3. By using templates, we could allow community input to the front
page without unlocking the design of the front page. ie, the front
page has some templates inserted that are editable, even though the
front page remains locked to stop casual vandals.

Peter 'Pflodo' Flodin.